10 scientific reasons why you should be drinking more H20
Everyone knows that water is good for you, but do we really know why? The human body is made up by around 70 percent water, so it important that we keep ourselves hydrated. Here are some science based facts about how the water we consume benefits our body and mind.
1. Building up muscle. Keeping hydrated is important, as muscles are mostly made up from water. Being dehydrated can cause cramping and slow muscle response. Drinking more water will increase muscle tone and performance and make your skin look great too.
3. Kidney function. Your kidneys work hard, flushing all the toxins and waste out of your body. If you do not consume enough water, your kidneys can not work efficiently, so these metabolic poisons will build up and can affect our immune system.
4. Help cure your headache. Some headaches are the result of the body being dehydrated. If your brain lacks water, it will shrink away from the skull. It also affects the flow of blood and oxygen to your brain, resulting in a headache. So, next time you feel a headache coming on, try drinking some water.
5. Ease joint pain. Dehydration is one of the most common underlying causes of countless health issues, explains Dr David Williams. Many drinks that we consume such as tea, coffee, fizzy drinks act as diuretics. These are commonly known as water tablets often used to treat blood pressure. These diuretics remove excess water and salt from the body. Adults should be drinking around 2 litres of H20 a day. Keeping hydrated will keep your cartilage in tip top condition.
6. Radiant skin. Our skin is the largest organ in the body. If our body lacks water it will appear dry and dull. When are body is well hydrated our complexion will improve, making our skin look brighter and healthier as water builds new cells and increase elasticity.
7. Lose weight. When the body is dehydrated, our cells are drained of energy. People will then tend to eat more, as the signals sent to the brain get confused with hunger but actually the body is thirsty. Drinking water also makes you feel fuller.
8. Beautiful eyes. Do you suffer from dry eyes? Maybe you aren’t drinking enough water. Keeping well hydrated will help lubricate our eyes, if not they can feel sore and irritated. This can cause vision problems and infections.
9. Brain power. Drinking plenty of water can help you concentrate. If our brain lacks water we can find it difficult to focus and stay alert. It can also cause fatigue and headaches. So be smart and stay hydrated.
10. Prevents blood clots. Dehydration can cause your blood to thicken, increasing the risk of blood clots. Drink plenty of water on a long flight to prevent DVT.
The wonders of water
A better mood, radiant skin, and boosted brain power – who knew that water could have such a large impact on so many things?
It is also worth mentioning that excessive water intake can cause water intoxication, also known as hyperhydration; we recommend limiting your consumption of H2O to the recommended daily amount.